Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Time For A Change

On October 2, 2012, I filed paperwork with the Ulster County Board of Elections changing my enrollment from Republican to Conservative.  By law, this will not take effect until the week after this year's November election.

Though I would be permitted to retain my Republican committee position until the enrollment change is official,  I also know from experience that insisting upon maintaining my position would cause a significant and unnecessary distraction for the committee.  We are just over 30 days away from an important election and the focus of the party must be on the election.  Therefore, effective immediately, I resigned my position as County and City Republican Committeeman.

This was a very difficult decision for me.  I have served on the Republican committee for the better part of 20 years.  My Dad served nearly 55 years.  His father before him served many years as well.  Between the 3 of us, we have provided almost 100 years of service to this party.  Nevertheless, I believe this decision is necessary and the right thing for me at this time.

As for my reasons for changing enrollment, I have chosen to keep them to myself.  Discussing them publicly would serve only as a distraction and would require discussion of internal party business.  I still have many friends in the city and county committees.  Having worked with them side by side for so many years toward a common goal, I have no intention of publicly attacking the Republican Committee for the county and/or city.  To do so would dishonor the fine work we have done together.  I will continue to be involved with local politics albeit with the Conservative Party. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you. After the way the committee treated you, the chairman promising to support you then stabbing you in the back, I'm surprised you didn't do this long ago.

How could they run those two for mayor? One thinks she deserves everything just because she wants it. The other one couldn't take a firm position on any issue the whole time he was on the common council.

And now those boobs are choosing someone even more useless as the city chair. There is no way the republicans are going to get anywhere in Kingston for about a generation.

It's all envy you know. None of them are worth a spit and they know it.

Good luck with the conservatives. I bet they will respect you more than the republicans ever did.

Jacobs Live People for People said...

Good Luck to you Rich. I remain a Republican but I am sad to say that the party in my OPINION remains silent. Where is the LEADERSHIP? This does not mean I am attacking any one individual I am addressing the REPUBLICAN LEADERSHIP in its entirety.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised you stayed with the Republicans as long as you did.

You gave and gave and gave to that party. When then time came for them to support you after all you did, they stabbed you in the back.