1. President Obama: "I told you I would cut taxes for middle-class families, and I did. I told you I’d cut taxes for small businesses, and I have."
Truth --The few tax cuts that Obama did enact, such as the temporary
payroll tax holiday, were short-term, or conditional. Moreover, Obama has raised taxes on the middle class. The largest of these is Obamacare. Keep in mind also that his so-called Millionaires tax will decimate small businesses.
2. President Obama: Romney "was asked, is it fair for somebody like you, making $20
million a year, to pay a lower tax rate than a nurse or a bus
driver . . . and he said, yes, I think that’s fair."
Truth: Obama was referring to a 60 minutes interview where Romney said that capital gains should be taxed lower than other
income because it has been taxed once already. According to his tax policy, Obama agrees with this principle. Thus, Obama's claim was a deliberate distortion.
3. Obama (referring to Romney's intention to limit funding to Planned Parenthood) "They rely on it for mammograms."
Truth: Planned Parenthood does not do mammograms. That has been confirmed by various fact checkers. This was just a nasty cheap shot by the President intending to get women to believe that Governor Romney is anti-woman.
4. Obama: "And the production is up....What you’re saying is
just not true."
Truth -- Romney's statement that oil production on federal lands is down 50% is not completely accurate. It is actually closer to 60%. Obama's statements were just plain wrong.
5. Moderator Crowley: "He did call it an act of terror."
Truth -- No, he did not. His reference to "acts of terror" in his Rose Garden speech was in a general, abstract sense, and came long after he had
described the 9/11 attacks on U.S. diplomatic missions as
demonstrations against an anti-Islamic video. Obama also went o the United Nations days later and again claimed the attacks were due to a video and not as a result of terrorism. Crowley later walked these statements back. One must ask what business a moderator has in fact checking the candidates, especially since she got it wrong.