Monday, August 13, 2012

An Extremist??

The mantra or talking point we are hearing from the left is that Paul Ryan is an extremist.  I take note of that because posters on this blog and some of my former political opponents have called me an extremist.

In response, I am reminded of a passage from Martin Luther King's "Letter from Birmingham Jail" that discusses extremism.  He wrote, "You speak of our activity in Birmingham as extreme. . . . But though I was initially disappointed at being categorized as an extremist, as I continued to think about the matter, I gradually gained a measure of satisfaction from the label.  Was not Jesus an extremist for love. . . . Was not Amos an extremist for justice. . . . Was not Paul an extremist for the Christian gospel. . . . Perhaps the South, the nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists."

 With the state of the economy and the state of our country, perhaps we do need some creative extremists.

No comments: